The Hillsboro Chamber of Commerce is seeking a responsible and self-motivated individual who is looking for light, part-time employment in a meaningful job that directly benefits the community of Hillsboro.
The Chamber Office Assistant position reports directly to the Chamber Board of Directors through the current acting President, and works closely with the Chamber Office Manager to complete daily tasks and keep office operations running smoothly. In addition to Chamber Duties, the Office Assistant may also be asked to accomplish tasks for the Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB) and Arts & Crafts Fair Association, both of which share space and resources with the Chamber.
Hours and schedule: The Office Assistant will work one full day a week (9:00am-1:00pm, 2:00-4:00pm) to be jointly determined by the Office Assistant, Office Manager, and Board of Directors, as well as pre-determined dates when the Office Manager is unavailable or on vacation. The Office Assistant may also be called to fill in last-minute, if available, when the Office Manager is sick or unexpectedly unavailable.
Appearance and conduct: While working in the office or at other Chamber functions, the Office Assistant is a representative of the Chamber, and will be expected to maintain a professional and respectful attitude and appearance. Please refer to the office dress code for specifics.
Responsibilities: The Office Assistant position is a part-time position with limited hours, so not all duties will necessarily be performed every day the Office Assistant works. On any given work day, responsibilities may include:
- Assisting visitors who are seeking information about the Chamber, a Chamber business member, or the city and surrounding area;
- Answering incoming phone calls, monitoring machine massages, and returning calls;
- Monitoring the Chamber email and sending mass emails to Chamber membership;
- Issuing Chamber Bucks gift certificates;
- Handling basic day-to-day office tasks such as (but not limited to) accepting mail, making business references, and taking notes about the days’ activity; and
- Performing additional tasks for the Office Manager as previously approved by the Board.
- Additionally, the Office Assistant may have the opportunity to assist in other projects or errands for the Chamber, CVB and Arts & Crafts Fair.
Experience and skills: Previous experience in office management is not required, but applicants with experience will be more highly considered. Applicants must also be comfortable using a computer (currently running Windows 7) and proficient in, or willing and able to learn, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and QuickBooks.
Compensation: The Office Assistant position will begin at an hourly wage of $7.25, with the possibility of wage increases based on performance and time employed with the Chamber.
Application: Serious applicants may acquire an application at the Hillsboro Chamber of Commerce office at 120 N. Main, Hillsboro, KS. Questions about the position may be directed to the current Chamber president, David Vogel, via email at email@example.com.